Federal Judge Gives Okay to NFL Concussion Settlement | DarrasLaw Podcast
The NFL concussion lawsuit has evolved to include more money and plaintiffs than litigants envisioned just weeks ago. Learn why a federal judge refused to approve a $675 million settlement.
Quotes from the Show:
“Let’s remember, the NFL revenue this year is going to be 10 billion dollars. [The judge] hadn’t been convinced that the league had put up enough money to cover the lifespan of the deal.”
“The mindset and mantra 15, 18, 20 years ago… the idea was that you worked through pain. You got your bell rung and you showed your manliness by getting back up.”
What you’ll learn:
- Concussions do not just impact the duration of a NFL career. They impact ex-players on a daily basis.
- The average NFL career lasts just 3.5 years.
- The federal judge refused to approve a settlement until all of the football players with a qualifying diagnosis would get paid sufficiently.
- The NFL revenue this year will be $10 billion. The previous settlement amount of $675 million for the concussion suit was deemed insufficient.
- CTE, ALS, dementia and other conditions commonly plague former pro players.
- The proposed settlement covers more than 20,000 former pro players.
- A player may opt out of the class, foregoing receipt of the settlement, but reserves the right to bring future claims.
- Recent NFL rules target: helmets, defenseless receivers, hitting below the neck.
- You cannot eliminate hits in football and hockey.
- Many doctors make their money in law – not medicine – by testifying that disabilities aren’t related to someone’s employment.
Need more information?
http://www.nflevolution.com/ – Organization that helps promote overall health and safety in the game of football.
https://www.nflplayers.com/ – Union for professional football players that play in the National Football League.
DarrasLaw: NFL Disability – Learn more about DarrasLaw’s work with professional football players and other athletes that have been seriously injured.